Lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2
From Standard of Care
←Older revision | Newer revision→
Also known associated platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase.
Enzyme member of phospholipase A2 superfamily and produced by monocytes, T lymphocytes and mast cells.
A circulating enzyme bound to low density lipoproteins, high density lipoproteins, and very low density lipoprteins.
Leads to the formation of lysophosphatidylcholine, a mediator of inflammation and promotes atherosclerosis.
May play a role in anti-inflammation.
Lysophoshatidylcholine is a chemo attractant for macrophages and T cell, can induce migration of vascular smooth muscle cells, alters endothelial function and increases adhesion molecules and cytokines.
May hydrolyze platelet activating factor and reduce inflammation and risk of thrombosis.
Approximately 80% bound to LDLs and remaining 20% linked to HDLs and very LDLs.
Has a role in the hydrolysis of oxidized LDLs and the formation of lysophoshatidylcholine, a proatherogenic and inflammatory mediator.